Welcome to Sacred Heart Parish
421 West Third Street, Sedalia, Missouri 65301
Welcome to the Sacred Heart Church webpage. Sacred Heart parish is
served by the Society of the Precious Blood, Kansas City Province.
Fr. Mark Miller, C.PP.S., serves as our pastor
Fr. James Betzen, C.PP.S., serves as our Senior Associate pastor
Permanent Deacon Jerome Connery
Lisa Osburn serves as our Director of PSR and volunteer Youth Minister.
Sacred Heart Church supports a Catholic school named Sacred Heart School, Preschool through 12th Grade.
Sacred Heart Church and St. Patrick's Church, seven blocks apart, share many ministerial programs together.† Some of these programs are Parish School of Religion (PSR), confirmation, youth program, Rite of Christian Initiation (RCIA).† There is an Adoration Chapel in Sacred Heart Church open Sunday to Friday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.† Catholics from both parishes make a weekly holy hour. Visitors are always welcome
History of Sacred Heart
In 1838, St. John the Evangelist in Bahner became the first Catholic Mission in this area, and supplied ministry to the Sedalia area.† St. Vincentís Church in Sedalia (later named St. Patrickís Church) began in 1865.† Sacred Heart Church was founded in 1882 by a group of German Catholics who left St. Vincent's to form a parish where they could have services in German.† The Precious Blood community from Ohio sent German-speaking priests to serve Sacred Heart.† The Precious Blood Sisters of Dayton, Ohio came to teach in Sacred Heart School.††
Sacred Heart's first church was a two-story building that housed a church, school and convent. As the town's population increased, the small structure was unable to serve the needs of the growing parish population. Construction of the new church began in 1891.
The cornerstone was laid May 8, 1892, and the church was dedicated and occupied April 20, 1893. The church is one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in the area, and has retained its unique atmosphere through many changes, including the installation of the high altar in 1898 and the addition of the side altars in 1902. Electric lights weren't installed until 1914. Although several painting and redecorating projects were completed in the church over the years, most recently the alter area in 2006, none have compared to the major restoration that took place in the late 1970s. The entire project took three years to complete and was finished just in time for the celebration of the parish centennial in 1982.†
Sacred Heart and its mission parish of St. John the Evangelist Parish have been served since their founding by the priests of the Society of the Precious Blood. For over 160 years, our priests have shared with us the strength of their community in prayer, in service, and in ministry. In so many ways their lives and sacrifices are an inspiration to us. Through their devotion and zeal, we have experienced God's love and been stimulated to a more generous love and service of our God and His people.